Make it Happen {Do the Splits}

For my birthday, my sister bought me this oh so motivational notebook, which I decided to use to document thirty things I want to do before I'm thirty.


I haven't quite got to thirty things yet, but I have started working on one of them. I want to be able to do the splits! I used to be able to do them without thinking, both straddle splits, and the other type (where you have one leg in front and one behind...no idea what they're called!)

Since I've been doing yoga more regularly I've been pinning lots of images of where I'd like to end up, and hip flexibility is particularly important in my case as I've got Piriformis Syndrome, which is a bit like sciatica but to do with the muscles in your bum (the piriformis muscle to be precise) and causes lower back/hip/bum/stomach/thigh/calf/foot (ugh!) pain and is really pretty horrible! Stephen Fry recently tweeted about having it too...so I suppose I'm in good company! 

Images via Pinterest


Yoga generally is good, but hip openers and leg/glute stuff is even better so I'm told so working on the splits should be helpful for that too. I spotted this splits challenge from Blogilates while I was browsing Pinterest the other day, and while I highly doubt I will be able to get to splits in thirty days, it should be a good start!

 Image from Blogilates

The gist of the challenge is that on days one to five you do the first five stretches. On day six you do the first five, plus stretch six. Day seven is the is the first five plus stretch seven, and so on and so forth, until day thirty when I should look like this...


We'll see...

No comments